Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

My mother called New Year's Eve "amateur's night," but I remember it with great fondness at my father's restaurant in Rochester.  As a little girl the memory was vicarious because my mother and I would stay at home and await the midnight call.  One could barely hear him with all the noise in the background!  Throughout my teens and right up until my father passed away in 2000 I would call him at midnight no matter where I was or what I was doing.  Even though I think them silly now, when little I could not wait until he came home the next morning, usually about 8, with a armful of funny paper hats and horns.  I have "done" Montreal, Boston, New York City (2000) and even Honolulu on New Year's Eve, together with the residential fare of Rochester, Binghamton, Ithaca and New Jersey and think of my father at midnight every year.

Today I did New Year's Eve at the acupuncturist.  In another snit about all the medications I am taking, especially in light of some new ones that I tried the day before yesterday (more powerful anti-seizure as well as narcotic painkillers), I did my usual stunt of going off of everything.  I know it is a bit silly, but I honestly did not feel as if I could take another pill.  The acupuncturist returned my late night call this morning and I was there within hours.  What, if any salutary effect the treatment might have remains to be revealed, and not until I have had some more in a process, but I am willing to try just about anything as I sit here tonight, again, in pain.

My cousins Linda and Tom sent us a wonderful treat just before Christmas, which I promptly stored in the freezer.  So glad I did because I cannot muster the energy either to go out or to invite company as would be the tradition and very much my pleasure.  Last year we hosted Pat, Kappy and Joe, and I must give them a call by tomorrow to say Happy New Year.  Tonight I am so very grateful to have found these treasures in the freezer and share them with Denise, the boys and Nikko's girlfriend, Mady, who is visiting us this vacation.  These treats add a sparkle to the evening -- thank you Linda and Tom!

It might be a quieter me that greets 2009.  I am most at peace and least in pain when I am not using the nerve to talk or chew, or even moving around much at all.  Now I know that there are many who will say that this affliction is divine retribution for having talked too much and having lived to eat and drink all these years, and I might not disagree with the principle of such an observation!  I might, however, take as much wisdom as possible from the experience and learn to give (or inflict myself, depending on one's perspective) in different ways that I have in the past.   

At Denise's and my commitment ceremony in 2003, Nikko, my older son, stood for a toast.  He threw revelers into hilarity when he began by saying that "my mom and Denise met in a chat room!"  Never mind that it was not exactly true, even though it was on line, and do remember that my brave boy toasted us at the tender age of 12, but what I will truly never forget is that when the laughter died down and he offered kind words he ended not by saying the usual "here's to the bride and the bride," but "here's to Internet!"  I cannot imagine a better way to ring in the new year.

Happy New Year!

No comments: